Windsor (pop. 26,344), located in Sonoma County, California, is a family-oriented community with an exceptional quality of life. It offers a wide variety of services and recreational opportunities, well-planned business areas, and a lively downtown.
Windsor has excellent local schools. The Windsor Unified School District provides additional information.
- Windsor Middle School - Grades 6-8
- Windsor High School - Grades 9-12
- North Bay Met Academy - School of Choice - Grades 9-12
- Windsor Oaks Academy - Continuation High School - Grades 10-12
- Cali Calmécac Language Academy - Public Charter School - Grades K-8
- North County Consortium - Special Education
The Windsor community has access to academically competitive colleges and universities in Sonoma County, including:
- Empire College
- Santa Rosa Junior College
- Sonoma State University
- University of San Francisco - North Bay Regional Campus
Low Crime Rates
Windsor is considered one of the safest communities in California. The Town of Windsor pays among the lowest amount per capita for police services, yet crime rates are low compared with other communities (based on the recent California Department of Justice Part I Crime Rate). The Town of Windsor received the Safe City Award three years in a row!
The Town of Windsor offers quality housing, from affordable to high-end residential neighborhoods. If you're considering visiting Windsor, we offer great hotel accommodations.
The Town of Windsor has the infrastructure for turnkey business opportunities. Through public and private infrastructure investment, Windsor has the foundation for business growth, including fiber-optic cable, electric and gas utilities, transportation, recycled water and public safety facilities.
The Town of Windsor creates community through people, parks and programs! We have five community parks including the Windsor Town Green, a skate park, a soccer park, more than 14 neighborhood parks as well as three large regional parks offering for team, cultural and recreational activities. In addition, the Town's Parks & Recreation Department has a large variety of activities for children and adults.
Windsor has many shopping opportunities. From specialty cuisine to contemporary gift shops and antique stores, you can find it in the Town of Windsor's shopping centers and our lively downtown area, which surrounds the Town Green.
- Bell Village
- Bonaventure Plaza
- Brooks Village
- Copperstone Building
- Lakewood Center
- Lakewood Village
- Old Downtown Windsor
- Shiloh Center
- Starr Station
- The Plaza on Lakewood
- Windsor Creek Plaza
- Windsor Palms Plaza
- Windsor Village
The Town of Windsor has an excellent civic reputation and image. It cares about its customers and strives to work for the community's best interests. This endeavor has enabled the Town to receive a number of awards and recognitions.
- 2016, 2015, 2014 Safewise "Safest City" Award
- 2015 North Bay Business Journal "Healthiest Companies" Award
- 2015 Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Authority "Federal Climate Action Champion" recognition
- 2015 Windsor Chamber of Commerce "Sustainable Business of the Year" Award
- 2014 California Chapter of American Planning Association "Comprehensive Plan -Small Jurisdiction" Award for Station Area Plan
- 2014 Green Technology "Green California Leadership" Award for Efficiency PAYS®
- 2013 American Council "Energy Efficient Economy" Award
- 2013 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for Sonoma-Marin Partnership "Water Sense Excellence" Award
- 2012 America's Promise Alliance "100 Best Communities for Young People" Award
- 2012 Healthy Eating Active Living Cities Campaign "Fit Town" recognition
- 2012 "iWork Well Sonoma County" Award
- 2012 League of American Bicyclists "Bicycle Friendly Community" Bronze Award
- 2012 North Bay Business Journal "Best Place to Work" Award
- 2012 Playful City USA designates Windsor as a "Playful City" Designation
- 2012 Water Reuse Association "Recycled Water Agency of the Year" Award
- 2009 Windsor Middle School Recognized as a California Distinguished School
- 2008 The Windsor Unified School District and the Town of Windsor receive the Golden Bell Award
- 2007 Association of Bay Area Governments “Growing Smarter Together Award - Public Private Partnerships” for downtown redevelopment
- 2006 State of California Governor’s Award for Environmental and Economic Leadership for partnership with Windsor Unified School District
- 2005 Sierra Club's “Best New Development 2005” for downtown Windsor