Windsor Hometown Heroes
Military Banner Program
This program was created to recognize and honor Windsor residents and their immediate family members who are serving our country in the United States Armed Forces.
- The program is supported with funding provided by local sponsors and family members.
- The military banners will be displayed on an ongoing basis on light standards located in Windsor.
- Banners will remain in place until military deactivation of the service member.
- The service member's active duty or active reserve status will be verified annually.
- When removed, the banner will be presented to the service member or family.
Windsor Hometown Heroes Banner Program Guidelines
Eligibility Criteria for Honorees
- Currently serving on active duty or active reserves in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard)
- Permanent residency in Windsor
- Having an immediate family member working or residing in Windsor (parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son, daughter, aunt or uncle)
- Graduated from Windsor High School
How to Apply
- Complete an application, and include the service person's name and branch of service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard).
- Include verification of the Windsor address of the service person or of the qualifying relative, OR verification of relative's employment in Windsor, OR verification of service member's graduation from Windsor High School
- Include verification of service person's current active duty or active reserve status
- Include a color portrait-style photo of the service person in dress uniform to be displayed on the banner. (Photos will be returned.) Digital photos 600 DPI resolution or better
- Mail, email or deliver to: Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Committee, PO Box 100, 9291 Old Redwood Highway, Building 300, Suite D, Windsor CA 95492
- Application will be submitted to the Review Committee for final approval
How to Donate
Each banner costs $200. To support this program with a *donation, please send a check, in any amount, payable to the Town of Windsor (Tax ID number 45-2913488) to: Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program, PO Box 100, Windsor CA 95492.
*May be tax deductible. Please consult your tax preparer.
The program is ongoing, and applications and donations continue to be accepted. The Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program Committee sells t-shirts to raise funds for the program. Phone Windsor Parks and Recreation for information or to purchase a shirt: 707-838-1260.
How to Volunteer
See Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Guidelines
Contact Amanda Gray, Windsor Parks and Recreation Senior Administrative Assistant at 707-838-5382 or via email.
The Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program is administered by the Windsor Parks and Recreation Department in partnership with the volunteer, community-based Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Committee.
2019 Banner Ceremony
Photos provided by Danielle Joy Photography
Video of Ceremony provided by the Press Democrat
Friends and family joined with the public on Sunday, January 27, 2019, to honor seven home-grown active-duty service men. The crowd gathered in Huerta Gymnasium for Windsor's seventh Hometown Heroes Military Banner Red Carpet Ceremony. A banner for each of the honorees joins the 67 banners already hung in Windsor Civic Center since the program's inception in 2013. Video of first Banner Ceremony held in November 2013.
The Program has been supported by:
- Town of Windsor
- Windsor Parks and Recreation Foundation
- American Legion Sotoyome Post 111
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 768
- North Sonoma County Republican Club
- Sonoma County Mothers of Military Servicemembers (M.O.M.S.)
- 40/8 Sonoma Voiture 338
- Dan Dorries
- Frank and Geri DeMaio
- Suzan and David Lewis
- Janace and Stan Shusda
- Castaneda's Marketplace
- Windsor Home Depot
- Windsor Storage
- Aaction Rents
- Peet's Coffee and Tea
- Burgess Lumber
- Exchange Bank
- Paragon Controls Inc.
- FASTSIGNS of Sonoma County
- Randy and Barbara Cruz
- West Coast Diesels
- Danielle Joy Photography
- Sonoma County Devil Pups
Windsor Hometown Heroes
Town Council, staff, and the Windsor community proudly honored the newest Hometown Hero, Navy Airman Cayden Lehr, on September 16, 2020.
A life-long resident of Windsor, Navy Airman Lehr is the son of Benjamin Lehr and Angela Perkins and brother to Sam Lehr and Grace Perkins. He attended Windsor Christian Academy and graduated from Windsor High School. Cayden’s interests include traveling, gaming and theater. With an interest in politics, he would like to attend law school at the conclusion of his military service.
Navy Airman Lehr enlisted in the Navy on November 12, 2019, completing Basic Training at the Recruit Training Command (RTC) in Great Lakes, Illinois. He completed Military School at the Naval Technical Training Command in Meridian, Mississippi.
Airman Lehr is officially assigned to the USS Abraham Lincoln out of San Diego, and he is currently deployed with the Navy on the USS Nimitz as an Aviation Maintenance Airman (AZAN).
You will find Navy Airman Lehr’s banner displayed in the Civic Center alongside his peers.